Saturday 30 September and Sunday 1 October, 11am-5pm – A celebration of Bristol’s maritime past with events for all ages at M Shed, Underfall Yard and, for the first year ever, SS Great Britain.
This year, the Docks Heritage Weekend celebrations will focus on celebrating the 40th anniversary of Portbury and the 140th anniversary of Avonmouth Dock. There are a limited number of places on coach tours to Avonmouth and Portbury (leaving from M Shed), which must be booked in advance. Book to join a coach tour to Avonmouth and Portbury.
Travel in style between the harbourside locations by jumping aboard a Bristol Ferry or vintage bus.
Events at Underfall Yard
- Meet Bristol Maritime Academy and be in with a chance to win a Powerboat Level 2 course worth £285!
- Watch the pumps that powered a port running throughout the weekend
- Try your hand at nautical knots and rope work
- See demonstrations of traditional skills
- Go behind the scenes in the magnificent Victorian Workshops
- Get creative with mini-build activities for all ages
- See Pyronaut, Bristol former fire boat, out on the Patent Slip
Events at M Shed
- Print your very own map of Bristol docks
- See cargo handling demonstrations
- Visit the Fairbairn steam crane
- Visit an electric crane (charges apply)
- Take a trip on the tug John King (charges apply)
- Go back in time and watch historic films about the port
Events at SS Great Britain
- Visit the Brunel Institute 12pm-3pm. Touch fragments of the ships hull and meet museum curators to hear how the SS Great Britain is now conserved in her original Dry Dock.
We would like to thank Event Sponsor The Bristol Port Company.