To apply please send a covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications is 5pm on 19/01/2022.
Underfall Yard Trust needs somebody special to join a small and dedicated team.
Since the creation of the Floating Harbour in 1809, Underfall Yard has played a central role in the development of Bristol. The closure of the City Docks in the 1970s resulted in the loss of much of the industrial infrastructure and ‘feel’ that once characterised the area. As a working boatyard that welcomes visitors, Underfall Yard is a unique and important survivor. Underfall Yard Trust is a charity that manages this historic site which is home to several maritime businesses and clubs. The Trust operates a visitor centre and café which are central to the learning, volunteering and events programmes.
As the Site and Maintenance Coordinator, you’ll be responsible for supporting the delivery of an efficient, effective and flexible service, to enable the successful operation of the Yard. You’ll support the team to meet its objectives by ensuring high standards are delivered and maintained. You’ll be assisting with the provision of planned, preventative and reactive maintenance. Responsible for small repairs, and caretaking duties, presentation of public areas and visitor facilities including car park and workshop.
Site and building maintenance:
- Ensure buildings and site areas are maintained in a sound condition and attend to any defects. Carry out minor repair and maintenance work – liaise with contractors for larger work.
- Review and manage service contracts (e.g. cleaning, refuse, fire safety, PAT testing, intruder alarms, utilities and maintenance). Read utility meters on a regular basis and liaise with suppliers. Working closely with Underfall Yard tenants will be central to this.
- Keep clear records related to the site.
- Ensure optimum levels of engagement by visitors with the historic and architectural significance of the site.
With the Director:
- Ensure Trust is compliant with Health and Safety legislation and procedures are in place for reporting accidents and incidents.
- Review and maintain risk assessments including activity-specific and general site risk assessments.
- Ensure Fire regulations and evacuation procedures are met. Maintain records of testing, evacuations and equipment.
- Communicate the above with all relevant parties to ensure procedures are met and understood.
The above will require regular liaison with business tenants.
Support Slipway Operations:
- Assist Slipway Supervisor with operating the slipway to lift and launch boats.
- Keep slipway tidy and liaise with Slipway Supervisor for repair and maintenance.
Coordinate the conservation and operation of Underfall Yard’s historic machinery:
- Build and maintain relationships with experts, specialists, contractors and Bristol’s historic engineering sites.
- Ensure machinery is maintained and in a sound condition and address any conservation or maintenance needs.
- Liaise with the Heritage, Learning and Volunteering Manager to oversee volunteer training and the rota for conserving, maintaining and demonstrating machinery.
- Liaise with the Heritage, Learning and Volunteering Manager to ensure optimum levels of engagement by visitors with the machinery and working nature of the site.
All members of the team will act as Duty Manager, which includes:
- Answering telephone, email and in-person enquiries
- Opening and closing the office, the site and the Visitor Centre
- Communicating with the volunteers and acting as the point of contact throughout the day
- Troubleshooting any issues that arise through the day
- Some weekend and Bank Holiday work. Occasional evening work.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES (essential)
Excellent team working and interpersonal skills.
Clear and concise written and spoken communication skills.
Effective use of Microsoft Office
Flexible, customer focused approach with understanding of good customer service standards
Good organisational skills and attention to detail
Ability to use tools, equipment as required for the role
Willingness to work alongside volunteers and able to support volunteers to perform at their best.
Responsibility for premises or sites (particularly maritime, heritage or working sites) in a customer service environment.
Managing contracts and contractors related to site maintenance and operation.
Knowledge of/experience of working with historic machines similar to those at Underfall Yard.
Relevant legislative requirements relating to Health and Safety and Fire Safety.
Understanding of building regulations particularly in relation to listed buildings and scheduled ancient monuments.
Willing to work occasional weekends, bank holidays and occasional evenings.
Friendly and engaging manner.